Saturday, December 1, 2012

Green is Gold

This dress has been in a vintage shop I frequent for quite a while and I always loved it.  When they had a recent sale I snapped it right up, thinking if it didn't fit I would sell it.  It fit!!  Seriously, I don't know how may times I'll say it, but thank goodness for elastic waists!
I freakin' love green.  And green clothes.
The dress made me think of this poem by Robert Frost:

"Nature's first green is gold, 
Her hardest hue to hold. 
Her early leafs a flower; 
But only so an hour. 
Then leaf subsides to leaf. 
So Eden sank to grief, 
So dawn goes down to day. 
Nothing gold can stay."
Which immediately makes me think of The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton.  I read it over and over when I was about 13 and was obsessed with Ponyboy to the point where I didn't know if I was in love with him or wanted to be him!

I wore my leather jacket with it when it got cool later in the evening.  I paid full (vintage) retail price for this jacket because I had been searching for one FOREVER and it just hadn't turned up.  
On a side note:  My husband hates the dress!  Not a big deal-- we are both super opinionated about clothes.  I just love it so much I can't believe everyone doesn't!  
The dress is kind of a really thick knit and has a super subtle metallic green sheen to it that I don't think will be noticeable in the pics.  The things that save it from being too hot for Florida are the short sleeves and open neck.
Another little joy here:
The small Taxco silver ring with a four eyed frowny face mushroom.  I can't even begin to tell you how  much happiness it brings to my heart when I look at it.  For me, it is not just jewelry but a piece of art.  Such a simple little symbol and yet it gets me.  
How long will it take for that nail polish to chip all the way off, right? :))

2 comments:

  1. That dress is wonderful on you, I love it with the biker jacket! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vix!!! Wish it stayed cooler here so I could wear it more often :))

      Delete